Elderberry is a wild berry that comes from the elderflower. It can be found in Northern America right around the early part of Fall.
If you’re lucky enough to have these wild berries growing in your backyard, you can use them to make wonderful immune-boosting tonics that are commonly used in syrups, jams, and other concoctions to support immune health.
In particular, elderberries can be used to make powerful anti-viral medicine that is great for overcoming colds, sinus infections, allergies, and other issues that occur when the immune system becomes weak.
In this post, we’re going to show you how to make your very own immune-boosting elderberry chia jelly that is low carb, sugar-free and gluten-free.
4 Ingredients Needed to Make Elderberry Jam
- Organic Dried Elderberries: You will need about 1/2 cup.
- Chia seeds: This natural ingredient works as a great as a thickening agent for homemade jams. These tiny little seeds are rich in fibre, protein and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Monkfruit sweetener: This natural sweetener is our favorite sugar substitute for any recipe. It contains zero calories, zero sugars and zero carbs.
- Lemon Juice: Important for bringing all the ingredients together and helps to ‘set’ the jam. It’s also great for safe canning and to prevent the growth of bacteria.
Did you know elderberry is one of the most powerful antiviral remedies in the world?
Let’s take a quick look at the following infographic, showing the top 8 benefits of elderberry.
I’m sure you’re getting the picture why you need to incorporate this superfood into your daily diet.
One of the best ways to benefit from this immune-boosting berry is to have your own homemade elderberry chia jam!
If you love breakfast then you’re going to love this homemade elderberry chia jam recipe.
It’s much healthier than any jam you can buy at the store and it’s much easier to make than traditional homemade jam.
And did we mention it’s super delicious?
Elderberry Chia Jam Recipe
- 1/2 cup organic dried elderberries
- 5 tbsp chia seeds
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup monkfruit sweetener (or natural sweetener of choice)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
In a pot, add water, lemon juice and elderberries then bring to a boil.
Once boiling point is reached, remove from heat and then chia seeds and natural sweetener. Pour mixture in a blender and blend until smooth.
Pour mixture back into pot and bring to a boil once again. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Keep stirring while simmering.
Remove from heat and cool for 15 minutes before transferring into a jar. Cover and place in the fridge overnight to allow the jam to thicken.